Tenant to Tenant Migration in Office 365: A Step-by-Step Guide
Office 365 has become the go-to productivity platform for businesses of all sizes in recent years. Tenant-to-tenant migration in Office 365 is becoming more important as organizations adopt Office 365. Despite the fact that Office 365 includes a number of tools for migrating users and data, the process can still be complicated and time-consuming.
We’ve put together a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the Office 365 tenant-to-tenant migration process. Everything from planning and preparation to execution and post-migration tasks is covered in this guide. You can ensure a successful migration with minimal disruption to your users by following these steps.
More Information on Tenant-to-Tenant Evictions
The domain account associated with the Microsoft 365 Suite is referred to as a tenant in Microsoft 365. A tenant administrator has access to all of the subscription’s features. The mailboxes must be moved to another tenant in the event of a business merger. The migration is not a straightforward process; you must prepare, meet certain requirements, and have the necessary licenses.
Tenant to Tenant Migration in Office 365: A Simple Approach
Depending on your migration scenario, a tenant to tenant migration in office 365 may present a variety of challenges. Tenant to tenant migrations is most commonly performed as part of business acquisitions, mergers, or divestitures. As a result, various migration patterns exist, such as a one-time migration, a phased migration, or a split flow/tenant move.
Tenant to tenant migration in Microsoft 365 is done with PowerShell scripts or third-party tools. Before you do that, you should review the Office 365 Pre and Post Migration Checklist.
Stage one of the migration process
Step 1: Preparation of the domain
Various considerations may be necessary before domain preparation, depending on your migration pattern. The following are typical scenarios:
- It entails rebranding.
- There will be no rebranding.
- It’s just a change of cloud tenant.
Prepare the domain using the steps below, based on your needs:
- Make sure you have enough Microsoft 365 licenses for the target environment.
- To ensure a smooth migration, create admin accounts on both the source and target systems.
- In the target, create user mailboxes, room/resource mailboxes, and distribution groups.
- Perform AD DS consolidation using AD DS tools if necessary, and manually or using synchronization, sync the source domain with the target domain.
- Train your end-users on how to use Microsoft 365 after the migration.
Step 2: Verify the domain
- Firstly, in Microsoft 365, begin verifying the target tenant domain.
- Secondly, Create TXT records in DNS and add a source domain in the target Microsoft 365 admin center.
- Ensure that the domain is only used by one tenant. The verification will fail if this is not done.
- It will take about 72 hours for the changes to appear after you’ve completed these steps.
Step 3: Plan your migration.
- Make a list of the user mailboxes that need to be migrated and a mapping CSV file.
- On the MX record, take note of the lowest TTL value (of the primary email domain).
- Disable directory sync for the source tenant (from the Microsoft 365 admin center) to prevent any changes to the source tenant’s AD DS account from being synced to the Microsoft 365 platform. The disabling process can take up to 24 hours to complete.
What Do Professionals Think of Office 365 Migration Tool?
The last thing you want to happen during a tenant to tenant migration in Office 365 is to lose your data. For Microsoft 365 tenant-to-tenant migration, most migration experts recommend using the most secure office 365 tenant to tenant migration software because it ensures that your data is not corrupted. The data will remain in the same structure and format after migration. It automates the migration and ensures that it is completed with the fewest possible manual steps. Administrators can simply carry on with their other tasks while the migration is in progress.
Office 365 Migration Tool – For a simple and straightforward tenant-to-tenant migration.
Office 365 Migration is a sophisticated tool designed specifically for tenant-to-tenant migration in Office 365. It enables users to migrate all Microsoft 365 mailboxes from one tenant to another with ease. It has some fantastic features that make it the best Microsoft 365 migration tool.
- Migrates seamlessly from one Microsoft 365 tenant to another.
- Allow multiple mailboxes to be migrated from one tenant to another.
- With a CSV file, you can migrate an unlimited number of user mailboxes.
- Provide specific filters for migrating specific data.
- After the migration is complete, save the migration report in CSV format.
In conclusion, We’ve outlined the process of migrating your Office 365 tenant to a new one in this step-by-step guide. We understand that migrations can be intimidating, but they don’t have to be with careful planning and execution. You should be able to successfully migrate your organization to a new Office 365 tenant if you follow these steps and seek assistance if necessary. The tool has an Office 365 Migration tool that can automate much of the process for you if you’re looking for a tool to help make the migration process easier. Plus, this migration tool is completely free, so there’s no reason not to give it a shot! Get started right away.